Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Apple Crisp

I first want to say that you won't find my recipes very precise. I usually don't even measure. And I am always tweaking things at the last minute. It just depends on my mood. So in my homemade recipes you will find a sprinkle of this, a dash of that, a handful of this. So please excuse my improvising, its just the way I cook.

I didn't have very much in my pantry so I made this and it was devine.. Served warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and you've got yourself one heck of a dessert! A hint of orange really brings out the flavor of the apples.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jacey's Apple Crisp

6 small apples peeled and sliced thin, 2 granny smith, 2 braeburn, 2 golden delish ( I only used this combo because I had these types of apples )
3 TBS sugar
A sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice
1-2 tsp of orange zest
1/2 of a fresh orange juice freshly squeezed from the orange you zested
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats, not the quick cooking kind
A sprinkle of ground cinnamon
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup softened butter

Put your apples in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar and pumpkin pie spice and toss. Then zest your orange over the apples and squeeze half of the orange into the bowl and toss. Place in a shallow baking dish.

In another bowl mix your brown sugar, oats, flour and cinnamon then cut your butter in with a pastry cutter until it resembles crumbs. Once that is done add your chopped pecans and mix in.
Sprinkle crumble topping over apples.

Bake @ 400 for 30 to 35 mins until the topping is brown and crisp.

Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

No comments: