Saturday, May 24, 2008

Broccoli Rice Casserole (My girls' favorite)

This is a huge hit in my house. If we have steak, we almost always have this and I make it for every special holiday too. Thanks to Mimi! I do mine a little different but I got the basic recipe from her.

Photobucket

Broccoli Rice Casserole

1 bag of frozen brocoli
4 oz of 2 % Velveeta Cheese, cubed
1/4 of an onion chopped
2 Tbs butter
1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup
1 bag of boil in a bag rice, cooked
1 small can diced green chilis
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

While the rice is boiling (according to box) which is usually 12 minutes.. I take the brocoli and steam it on the stove with the onion and a little bit of water.

Then I put the cubed velveeta, butter, soup and green chilis and cook in the microwave 2 minutes until the cheese is melted.

After the broccoli is tender, I drain off the water and put the broccoli and onion in with the soup. Stir till blended and once the rice is finished cooking, toss it in as well.

Put in an 8x8 casserole sprayed with pam, sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 350 until the cheese is bubbly or about 15 minutes or so.

No comments: