Sunday, June 29, 2008

Porcupine Meatballs

First of all let me say a huge thank you to my Kristin for this wonderful recipe. I will think of her every time that I make these. Thank you for sharing such a special recipe with me! I added a few of my own touches and they were great. My family loves it and it is now going to be a staple in my monthly menu. Kyle is usually leary of anything that I try out new, for good reason! I usually mess it up somehow, so I didn't know if these would turn out the way I wanted or not. But after one bite, he loved them!! The girls ate until they were sick. They were moist and juicy and soaked up the sauce and were just wonderful. I will be making them for the next party I go to!!

Porcupine Meatballs
Photobucket

Photobucket


Combine:
1/2 c long grain rice (not cooked), all I had was the boil in a bag kind since we don't eat a lot of rice, so I just cut it open and measured out half of a cup
1/2 c water
1/3 c chopped onion
1/3 c green bell pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 dashes of Worcestershire, probably about a table spoon, you my measuring!
Sprinkle of chilli powder
1 minced clove of garlic
1 lb ground meat, I used sirloin

Brown meatballs in a skillet and cover.

Sauce(this is the exact recipe for my homemade sloppy joes as well!)

1 can tomato sauce
1 c water
2 TBS brown sugar
1 TBS vinegar
1 tbs Worcestershire

Cover meatballs with sauce and simmer 30 mins or so. I'm not sure of the exact time, but I brought it to a bubble, turned it to low and put a lid on it. When the sauce is thickened and soaked into the meatballs its ready.

No comments: