Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The taste of fall..Apple Pie Jam

Much thanks and props to my buddy over at Mommy's Kitchen Mommy’s Kitchen for the Original idea she posted about apple pie jam. I searched and found a recipe (because I was too impatient to wait on hers haha) and tweeked it a bit.

I'm a little worried that its a bit thin so next time I plan to boil it longer and hope that works. This is my first attempt to make Jam so we will see what happens.. I haven't tried it yet because its still has to sit a while and I then need to decorate the jars to give away.


Apple Pie Jam
4 cups apples, chopped, I used Fuji because thats our favorite
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
4 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 (1 3/4 ounce) box dry pectin
1 tbs butter

Wash your jars in hot soapy water or if your lucky and have a dishwasher (my kitchen doesn't have a spot for one) then wash them in it. I used 8 small jars.
Photobucket
Photobucket

While peeling and chopping your apples, start a big pot of water (enough that it covers your jars about 3/4 the way to the top) Bring it to a boil


Measure apples in a measuring cup, now add in the same measuring cup water to fill up to the 4 cup line (with the apples in it).


Add pectin and the butter and spices, lemon juice.

Photobucket

Bring to a boil.

Add sugars and bring back to a full rolling boil, boil 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Photobucket

Stir constantly.

Remove from the heat.

Skim if there is any foam, I didn't have any.

Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Put on lids.
Photobucket
Photobucket


Process in water bath 10 minutes.

Photobucket

No comments: