Tuesday, September 8, 2009

*~Western Burgers~*

Ok I usually don't justify the way I cook or what I like but this is one of those things that people look at me like I'm flat out crazy for loving. So for the following reasons I will justify this recipe.

1) It's a very very special family recipe handed down from my great grandmother. She made it for me, my nana made it for me and my mom taught me how. My great granny was a cafeteria lady for many many years and towards the end of the year when they had a lot of condiments left, they had to find a way to utilize them since they couldn't throw them out. So they came up with this. I love the story, love the smell and the sentimental memories that come with it.

2) Never trust a skinny cook :) Since I am not one then you should trust me.

3) TRY IT. Because I SAID SO..


Western Burgers

1 lb ground sirloin
1/2 small onion
1/2 small green bell pepper
2 turns of the pan, worchishire sauce
salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder to taste (for meat)

sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup mayo, we use miracle whip in our house but use what you like
1/4 cup plain jane yellow mustard.don't even try to be a mustard snob and bust out the grey poupon. not only would it not taste right it would just be wrong. hear me!
1/4 cup worschishire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 large hamburger buns, you will use each the top and bottom giving you 6

Saute hamburger, season and add onion and bell pepper. Cook until no longer pink.

Meanwhile, mix together your "special sauce"

Take all 6 halves of the hamburger buns and lay on cookie sheet. Add a teensy bit of cheese on bottom.

Photobucket

Preheat broiler

Mix meat with sauce and spoon, or use an ice cream scoop and take a dollup of your meat sauce mixture and place on top of bun. Top with cheese and repeat until all 6 are full.

Photobucket

Place under broiler and broil until cheese is melted and edges of buns are crisp and the western burgers are bubbly.


Photobucket

These are also WONDERFUL eaten cold out of the fridge.

Trust me...

No comments: